Single Review: Standards by Alie

 “Standards” by Alie is an exploration of self-sabotage and the relentless pursuit of perfection. The lyrics paint a clear picture of internal conflict, where the narrator acknowledges their self-destructive tendencies—being stuck in old patterns, unable to move forward, and trapped in a cycle of emotional highs and lows. Lines like “I always wanted more / Even from myself / Nothing is enough” highlight a profound sense of inadequacy and the pressure to constantly strive for an unattainable standard. The repetition of “I try real hard” underscores the futility of their efforts, as they remain mired in self-doubt and emotional turmoil, unable to break free from their own expectations.

What makes the song compelling is its unflinching honesty about the battle between ambition and self-worth. The narrator’s admission that “I never know what is the standard” and “my brain always wins” reveals a deep-seated struggle with self-criticism and the fear of never measuring up. The closing lines—“Can I win one day?”—leave the listener with a poignant question, capturing the universal human experience of grappling with personal standards and the elusive nature of success. Alie’s lyrics resonate with vulnerability, making “Standards” a relatable anthem for anyone who has ever felt trapped in their own mind.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist interview : Niara

Ep Review: Penumbra by Haunted Shoes

Artist Interview: Shallo